Thursday, December 24, 2009

Defining Moments

Recently, I read  a blog that touched me deeply.  This has never happened to me before and I  wasn't sure how to handle it.  My  friend Aunt Becky has had some very defining moments.

Mine make me sooooo thankful.
Defining moments, *sigh. They all have to do with my kids!

With my first son, knowing that I finally found unconditional love.

Looking at my oldest son and seeing a man in front of me and knowing that “I did that!”

Watching my middle son go from a very happy and outgoing little boy to deep inside a shell when their father and I split and knowing, “I did that…” then watching him come back out a few years later and thinking, “He did that, all on his own.” ( the split was so hard on us...how do you break up the "perfect marriage"?)

Having my six year old sneak into my bed in the middle of the night, wrap around me and whisper, “you’re the best mom in the world” before he goes back to sleep.

I find my moments defined by my sons, just as my life has been since having them. As my teens get ready to launch, I find myself trying to grasp each moment they hug me and each “I luv u” text is saved. My biggest defining moments are looking at two men in front of me opening doors for women at the grocery store, saying “Yes Sir” to older men when speaking, eating with their elbows off the table, and again knowing: I DID THAT!!

Merry Christmas!

9 comments:

Shell said...

You should feel proud, mama!

The Princess of Sarcasm said...

I'm looking for a "like" button around here. I know exactly what you mean. Merry Christmas to you and your boys!

Anonymous said...

well my kids better say yes sir and ma'am!
I'll bust em in da eye if they don't!

Hope y'all have an excellent Christmas!

Unknown said...

You must be very proud! Well done and I can relate to those moments

Danielle said...

My daughter is my defining moment too.
Merry Christmas!

Jack Steiner said...

Our children are reflection of so many hopes and dreams.

Aunt Becky said...

I am not admitting to ANYONE ELSE that your defining moments made me cry, but they did. I'm so glad to know you. Merry, Merry Christmas, my friend.

Martie said...

you are an awesome mom. I think you are a beautiful person. I wanna be you. Can I be you? I am so boring and weak, you are awesome and strong. I may be drinking a little, but please know, this is all true. ;) That's a wink of "hey you, you're great", not one of "hey you, lets hook up" LOL

Something Happened Somewhere Turning said...

:-)