Thursday, June 17, 2021

 Always Believe in Someday


When I was in the 3rd grade, I wrote a report about Thailand. I was fascinated with it. The water buffalo, the people, the landscape, the temples. I told myself, "Someday, I'm going to go there."

When I was 20, I was fascinated with Italy. Rome, the architecture, the history. I told myself, "Someday, I'm going to go there."

When I was 22, my brother took his dream trip to Australia. Oh, he regaled me with tales of his exploits and the country and how amazing it was. I told myself, "Someday, I'm going to go there."

All my life I was fascinated with Andalusia, Spain, Portugal. The horses, the people, the history, the music, the flamenco dancing. I always told myself, "Someday, I'm going to go there."

We all live our lives with somedays, don't we? We always say, "Someday..."

A few days ago, I was talking with a friend I haven't seen since 1999. He said, "Someday, we'll have another beer together..."

Yes, yes we will. You know why? My somedays are today. 

In 2005, I was sent to Thailand with the Navy. I was on a bus, headed to a Hindu temple when I saw a boy riding a water buffalo. It hit me. I was doing my someday. 

In 2017, my company rewarded me with a travel voucher to anywhere. I took two of my sons to Italy, and as the cab came into Rome and I saw the Coliseum, I said to myself, "This is my someday."

In 2018, my next company sent me to Australia to work for a month. As I watched kangaroos run in front of my car every morning, and took a trip to Phillip Island, and saw the world's smallest penguins, I realized that this was one of my "somedays."

Now, we're in 2021. In two days I leave for Portugal and Spain to watch my son play lacrosse in an international tournament. I am realizing another "someday."

Keep dreaming of your someday. They happen. They come true. They really do.

No comments: