Tuesday, March 19, 2013

New Beginnings

Hello, my friends..I have had a helluva year.  Now I'm sorry I've gotten so serious on here..Stress will do that.

I keep telling myself every weekend, I need to write!  I need to blog about that!! Then, I just see too many shiny objects and get distracted.  Now however, I've got some time on my hands at work, yes work, so I'm here to catch y'all up before I get back to my humorous self.

So, last you knew I was bottoming out.  And I did.  Boy, did I EVER bottom out.  I was out of work for nearly five months, which really sucked!! However, I did work part time installing insulation--my personal trainer hooked me up.  I actually enjoyed the work, believe it or not.  Working on a construction site, dragging 3k feet of hose through the buildings all day.  It was dirty, hot, sweaty work and I loved every minute of it.  If it had been more regular and paid better, I probably would have enjoyed staying with it! But it was only part time, eight hours here or there.  It did well to bridge the gap, though.

So in November, I got picked back up for government contracting.  Being laid off before an election, as a contractor, in this economy...wow, the timing sucked. But, I'm back at the nameless agency, designing training.  I love it, but my daily commute is 180 miles round trip. That includes going to school full-time after work. My days are long, but they are filled.  The good news is, I've been picked up for ANOTHER job, straight stick civilian.  No government contract, no worries about sequestration and losing money AND it's only 29 miles from home.

Wait, did she say school?  Why yes, yes I did.  While I was laid off and sinking further and further into depression, my Mac said to me, "Maybe it's time you do what you love to do.  You've talked about opening your own cafe, maybe that's what you're supposed to do now." I thought about it, actually thought he might be a little crazy but more right than not.  So, one day, while I was job searching, a pop-up for a culinary arts school appeared. I looked at it and thought, "Mac's right! Now's the time for me to make the dive." I enrolled in the school, full-time.  The next day, I got picked up for my job.  I called Mac and said, "What do I do?" He said, "You'll do the responsible thing.  Single mothers work and go to school full time all the time..I know you can handle it."

So, that's what I do.  I leave for work around 0615, get to work around 0800, leave work at 1630, school is 75 miles from the job so I get there at the mercy of traffic, and then I get home around 2300 each night. My brother David thinks my business plan is a great idea, he's sent me a book recently on how to successfully launch and manage a food truck (I want to start there before going brick and mortar).  Mac, as usual, has been my stalwart cheerleader through all of this.  That's just how he is, though.  We've had an extremely rough time these past six months or so.  It's me, mostly..the stress and strain of my things and being so far away from him.  I'm still trying to salvage my house.  I had mediation last week, they are going to try and give me a modification again. That was a relief, but with the missed payments, legal fees, late penalties and interest, I still feel like I'm drowning.  I do believe, however, that there is a greater plan and what will be, will be.  I'm also back to studying for my personal trainer certification and I've slowly started running again.  I need to pick that up since my first half marathon this year is in May.

So, life goes on!  I'm top of my class in culinary, my boss is very upset that I'm leaving this job since I've introduced what they call "visionary learning plans" here.  I'm trying to change the way this agency, and hopefully the government someday, does training.  My only regret is that I won't be here to see the project from cradle to grave..I've just seen it from cradle to crawling.

Oh, and the biggest irony about all this??  The new job is designing financial training...As a contractor...For the bank that holds my note. Yes, God doth have a sense of humor.

So, I'm going to try and be back here more often.  I know, I know, I say that all the time..But this time? I mean it.

So, welcome back my friends, if you're still with me...I ain't dead yet!!  And I'll leave you with this:


Well, I'd be scared....

Later, folks!

No comments: